Below are some questions frequently asked by applicants and students. If you don’t see your question here, please fill out a contact form on our Contact Us page.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students starting the program in or after Fall 2019 will have slightly different plans of study and requirements to account for accreditation changes and the introduction of Applied Practice Experience and Integrative Learning Experience, instead of Internship and Seminar.
How soon can I start my internship? All students are required to complete all of the program courses before starting an internship. Students are only registered for internship once a signed Internship Proposal form has been submitted and approved. Students must have a 3.0 GPA to enter the Internship phase of the program.
Can I do my internship at my current place of employment?
To ensure the development of competencies in a variety of public health settings, this is not recommended. The MPH program may approve an internship in settings in which students are employed, provided certain safeguards can be established to preserve the educational quality of the learning experience. Students must:
- Have been employed by the organization with satisfactory performance
- Be assigned duties different from those regularly performed as an employee
- Have assignments that are applicable to public health core and concentration areas
- Have assignments that offer opportunities for new experiences and learning
- Be able to work on and develop a special project
- Be assigned to a different department or program and/or to a supervisor other than their employment supervisor to oversee the internship
Can I get paid for my internship?
Paid internships may be available in your community, but this will depend on whether the agency you are working with permits payment of interns and if it has funds available for an intern. If they cannot pay for an internship, you may request a mileage reimbursement from them.
How long is my internship?
The MPH Program requires a internship of 5-9 credits which is comprised of 48 hours of internship work per credit hour. A 5-credit internship equates to 240 total contact hours.
Do I need to complete all 5 internship credit hours in one semester?
The Program permits internship credits to be divided into more than one semester.
Does my preceptor need to have an MPH degree? Ultimately, your supervisor should 1) be academically prepared to provide direction or facilitate your internship; 2) have expertise in the concentration area; 3) be available for student and faculty consultation; 4) have an interest in working with students.