Before graduating from the MPH program, all students (enrolled Fall 2019 or after) complete an Applied Practice Experience (via completion of public health service hours, an internship, and PHC 6941 MPH Applied Practice Experience) and an Integrative Learning Experience (via completion of PHC 6940 MPH Capstone). Students enrolled prior to Fall 2019 have separate requirements, which can be found here.
Applied Practice Experience and Integrative Learning Experience Components
– Accumulated throughout time in program.
– Self-tracked by students.
– Factual Report written for each experience.
– Time logs and reports are posted to students’ e-folios as an assignment in PHC 6941 .
– Internship is completed as part of PHC 6941.
– Internship proposal and supporting materials are approved by faculty advisor and turned into Internship Coordinator approximately one month prior to beginning internship.
– Students complete a minimum of two portfolio products that show mastery of a minimum of 5 public health competencies (3 foundational and 2 concentration)
– Taken in final semester of plan of study, and is comprised of Internship and the creation of portfolio products.
– Students post assignments to either their e-folio or Canvas.
– Internship Coordinator signs off on completed APE hours.
– Faculty Advisors grade portfolio products.
– Taken in final semester of plan of study.
– Capstone Project is completed within course, under guidance of course instructor.
– Capstone Project is presented on Public Health Day.
– Capstone Project is graded by course instructor.
While the 150 hours of internship are typically completed during the student’s final semester, preparation occurs throughout the program:
Student meets with faculty advisor to discuss internship. Student begins to seek out internship sites and arrange interviews and meetings with potential preceptors.
Submit internship questionnaire, with Faculty Advisor signature, no later than 2 weeks after the first day of classes. Establish internship site. Submit internship proposal to Faculty Advisor (no less than two weeks before deadline). Submit proposal, with Faculty Advisor and preceptor signatures, to Internship Coordinator.
- Student Forms
- Past Internship Sites and Preceptor Contact List
- Internship Opportunities This page is password protected. Please reach out to Aubrey Bonsal for the password.