The MPH program celebrated Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022 graduating students. Students were recognized for their many achievements, which are detailed below.
Scholarships and Hall of Fame
Zoe Lohse was awarded the John J. Benton Endowed Scholarship, which goes to an MPH student who demonstrates integrity, humility, compassion, good scholarship, and a good sense of humor.
Geneve Simeus was awarded the Horace and Vivian Sawyer Endowed Scholarship, which goes to an MPH or PhD SBS student who is interested in working with people with disabilities or chronic diseases.
Giovanna Mompremier was elected to the UF Hall of Fame. This is an honor that recognizes seniors and graduate students who have consistently demonstrated outstanding commitment to improving the University of Florida through campus and community involvement, participation in organized campus activities, and scholastic achievements. It is one of the most prestigious honors awarded to students by the Division of Student Life at UF.
Delta Omega Inductees
This year’s Delta Omega Inductees from the MPH program are:
- Katherine Buschang
- Hiya Chowdhury
- Jacqueline De La Cruz
- Sarah Erickson
- Devon Mims
- Giovanna Mompremier
- Brianna Nordelo
- Eduardo Osegueda
- Jean-Paul Russo
- Kelsey Witmeier
Paper Plate Awards
Students and MPH staff submitted some fun paper plate awards:
- Sneaky Sprinter: Dr. Amy Blue, for being the most likely to trick people into enjoying running
- Different Kind of Viral: Dr. Jamie Pomeranz, for being the most likely to become TikTok famous
- Hollywood, Here I Come!: Dr. Song Liang, for being the most likely to be cast in an action movie
- Best Type of Influencer: Dr. Liz Wood, for being the most likely to inspire others
- Fashionista: Dr. Ara Jo, for having the best outfits
- Sworn to Student Success: Dr. Sarah McKune, for being dedicated to the success of their students
- Serving Public Health Hours: Rand Sakka, for completing the most Public Health Service Hours (a total of 868!)
- Standing Room Only: Zoe Martusewicz and Abigail Carden, for having the most attended Public Health Day Presentations
- Social Butterfly: Eduardo Osegueda and Nicole Rossomano, for attending the most Public Health Day Presentations
- Dean There, Done That: Dean Perri, for continued leadership, inspiration, and dedication to the college for 15 years as dean
Faculty Advisor of the Year
We had 11 total nominees from students for a faculty advisor of the year. We narrowed the field down to four finalists based on the number of nominations they received and the supporting details with the nomination. Our four finalists were Drs. Liz Wood, Sarah McKune, Yan Wang, and Young-Rock Hong.
Our 2021-2022 Faculty Advisor of the Year is Dr. Young-Rock Hong.
MPH Exemplary Student
Each concentration nominated one student for the MPH Exemplary Student:
- Yui Fujii (Biostatistics)
- Remy Powell (Environmental Health)
- Jean-Paul Russo (Epidemiology)
- Nicole Rossomano (Population Health Management)
- Devon Mims (Public Health Practice)
- Kelsey Witmeier (Social & Behavioral Sciences)
The 2021-2022 MPH Exemplary Student, voted on by alumni, is Devon K. Mims. Devon is a Public Health Practice student and is completing the joint MPH/DVM degree program.